วันจันทร์ที่ 4 มกราคม พ.ศ. 2553

Cheap Fellowes 3228901 Intellishred SB-89Ci Shredder


I bought this shredder to replace a previous Fellowes shredder that had stopped feeding. When I contacted the comnpany the indicated that the repair parts for the old unit were no longer available. I disassembled the old one, and, found out that it required only two nylon gears to put it back in running condition. why the most critical parts of the machine were not made of more durable material defies common sense. So much for repair, reuse, and recycle.

Therefore, I was forced to buy a new machine. I shopped around local big box stores, office supply shops, and the internet. My finding was that although a few units were availalbe in local stores, the selection was usually quite limited. That sense was magnified a hundred times when I began looking on the internet at all the units and manufactureres that produced shredders. In the end, I decided to take the chance on another Fellowes machine, the 89ci which is a small business unit that I will use only in the home. It seemed to offer the best value of all the others I reviewed for the unse I intended it.

I oped for a "business strength" unit for home use to potentially avert a recurrence of the failure with my former machine. I was pleased with the way the 89ci was packed and shipped, and, it worked well right out of the box. I did not find the paper tray included that was referred to in the packing list, but, I really don't need it anyway. Also, the instruction sheet is marginal at best and fails to provide definite guidelines for how often to oil the unit. (A number of internet articles suggest oiling at least each time you empty the bin. The most practical advice on how to do this seems to be by squirting a zig-zag oil track across a sheet of paper as you shred it.

The machine is touted to never jam. That statement is a bit of stretch of the word. Too much paper will make this machine just "stop", like all the others. However, this machine will eventually power through on its own, or, you can give it a power assist by pushing on the "hyper power" ring surrounding the main power switch. This does prevent the onerous task of removing a jammed stack of pages from the feed slot, but, the machine still stops if overfed. (I guess I'm looking for something equivalent to a tree chipper that will take whatever it is fed and shred it!)

The 89ci has a "power on" switch on the back and a switch on the top lower right front corner of the top which serve duplicate functions. One could be left off. Also, there is a cascade of lights on the top right that indicate when the feed load will slow/stop the machine. This is also overkill. A single warining light would be more than enough. Finally, the "on" switch incorporates a light that is totally unnecessary. When you feed the machine and it is turned on, then, the machine should shred. If it fails to work, then turn it on. The elimination of the fancy light cascade and the "on" light would reduce the consumption of power when the machine is not working and eliminate and unnecessary switch that can potentially fail.

The separate CD/credit card shredder slot feature is a disappointment. It is very difficult to make the machine feed a single credit card size object. It will not grab it and feed. I have had the best luck just sandwiching such cards between sheets of paper and using the regular feed.

All in all, I am satisfied with the sturdiness of the unit and the way in which it functions. But, it could be simplified and improved by removing all the bells and whistles and concentrating on making from follow function, potentially making the machine more durable and economical. I am hopng that I don't face a similar failure with this macine and the nylon gearing mechanism. Use the production savings from the switch and the light cascade mentioned above to make the nylon gears out of steel and improve the durability of the machine by a quantum leap!
Get more detail about Fellowes 3228901 Intellishred SB-89Ci Shredder.

ไม่มีความคิดเห็น:

แสดงความคิดเห็น